Monday, May 10, 2010

Why I love Spring..

{I have to preface this by saying that I started this post Before it proceeded to rain every day for the past week..but here's to hoping that it will stop some day soon.}

Just some thoughts about why I've been enjoying Spring so much so far:
  1.  It's not 100 degrees and humid yet (I have to admit I'm terrified - I am not quite sure how I'll handle actually having a hot, humid summer after 6 years in cold, foggy SF)
  2.  No mosquitos yet (I've only killed two so far..although there is one hiding somewhere in my room that I can't seem to find..)
  3. The beautiful flowers covering the grass and newly green trees in the parks.
  4.  Jacket weather (a little nostalgia for San Francisco)
  5.  My clothes can actually dry in one day - outside! 
  6. Flip flops!
  7. Biancanotte (white night) in Florence.  The night before May 1st (Labor day here) the entire center of Florence was open all night with concerts and events in every piazza and at midnight there were more people than I've ever seen in the city walking around  - about 150,000 people roaming the streets. It was pretty impressive - and the weather was absolutely perfect.  Gelato and pizza at midnight should happen more often..
  8.  Summer vacation and travelling!

I have been wanting to go visit the Iris Garden by Piazzale Michelangelo but have been holding off because of the rain.  However, we had a brief respite on Saturday  - so I took advantage and visited the gardens and finally the San Miniato cathedral.  If someone had told me there was a cemetary there, I wouldn't have put it off for so long!  It ended up being a beautiful day (if this were winter and it were supposed to be so cold and rainy, that is)..


Some pictures of San Miniato and the serene graveyard.

Wouldn't you like to be buried here?  I sure would!

The one on the left was my favorite ever..I don't know why the man is lying down with a torch..Did he collapse during the Olympics or is that symbolic of his light being put out or was that just his wish to be shown lying on the ground instead of under??

It turned out to be a nice weekend..and one of these days, when the rain stops, I will be able to go to the beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment