Sunday, March 11, 2012

So happy winter is almost over…

This post is for Laura since she might be the only one who reads it anyway Smile  My life really hasn’t been super exciting in the past few months.  I feel like I hibernated all winter – it got so cold here – and all of Italy.  Although it didn’t snow much it was in the 10s and 20s for a couple of weeks – way, way too cold for me.  Don’t forget we have ancient radiators and old buildings that can’t keep up.  I can’t tell you how much I love smart wool socks, thermals, scarfs, gloves, coats and my Snuggie.  So somehow I survived.  It really was cold – not just for Italy – we had this biting wind that didn’t go away for 2 weeks.  And the Arno was even iced over: something most Fiorentines have never seen.

But we survived and it is starting to feel like Spring! 

repubblicafirenzesnow

I went to Venice for Carnevale with some friends.  Here Carnevale is like Halloween but with lots of festivals and parades and confetti and treats everywhere.  Venice was packed full of people in historic costumes (a little bit like the Castro used to be on Halloween).  We had a great time.  Now it’s time to wait for Spring – huge chocolate easter eggs are already in the stores, Easter hunts and treats, gardens and flowers and basking in the sun in the piazzas (my favorite past time). 

It’s It’s been a pretty uneventful winter – but don’t worry, I have an awesome summer planned.  A 3 month tour of Greece – Turkey – Bulgaria – Romania – Kenya – Tanzania – Mt Kilmanjaro – before returning to the beautiful US of A.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Liz! It may seem no big deal to you, but I love learning more about your travels and beautiful city! Snow on the Duomo = so cool. I hope for your sake you get to thaw out soon. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete