Saturday, March 27, 2010

A Roman Birthday!!


Who doesn't want to celebrate their birthday in Rome?!  So that's just what I did! 
Meaghan and I took the slow train down to Rome in the morning and then spent the rest of the day walking around a good part of the city.  It's my first time back since high school (thanks to the coin thrown in the Trevi fountain, I'm sure)..and I forgot how beautiful it is.  Rome is full of things to see and do around every corner!

Can salami get any fresher?
It was a fantastic day!  We started out at the Piazza del Popolo, then took in the view from the Borghese gardens, the main shopping street Via del Corso (with the best candy store yet), the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, the Pantheon, Piazza Navonna, and several churches and piazzas on the way.

I love the drinking fountains of Rome - "nasoni" they are called and I love that name.  First, because I am always thirsty and second, because they are all so unique and beautiful. I should have taken more pictures for you..Rome also has amazing decorative fountains.
Then we searched a long time for La Bocca Della Verita ("the mouth of truth") from Roman Holiday, which was especially frustrating since we walked all the way to the Piazza della bocca della verita and still couldn't find it..but thankfully we finally discovered it across the street.  Sadly, it was closed behind bars, but at least we found it..something to save for next time I go to Rome.
 
We ended the night with the beautiful St. Peter's and Castel S. Angelo..and a great pasta dinner.  Then I returned to the hotel to meet Tamarin and Lori..but sadly their flight was late and they missed their connecting flight.  So I had to keep myself busy for another day without them..luckily there is plenty to see in Rome!

Kind of strange..but the pope (the one in red) drove around in a car around the square after the singing and waving of palms.
Sunday was free Sunday at the Vatican so I visited the Vatican City and the Sistine Chapel in the morning.  It was also Palm Sunday and I got to see the pope give his address in front of St. Peter's with everybody waving their palms or olive branches and cheering.  It was pretty cool..
Meaghan and I visited the Castel and then I made my way over to S.Maria in Trastevere, the Isola Tiberina, the Palatine Hill, Roman Forum and Colosseum.  Then I went back to the hotel to finally meet up with Lori and Tamarin!  It was so great to see them!  We ventured out again to the Colosseum and the Pantheon (both closed) and to see St. Peter's at night.  The next morning they gave up on the line for the Sistine Chapel and we visited St. Peter's (amazing) and the tombs of the popes (I don't know why but that was also one of my favorite things). 
The Pieta in St. Peter's..and my favorite sign in Rome.  Apparently one-legged women, overalls and
swimsuits are not allowed in the church.
Then we hurried to get back to the hotel and grab our luggage to catch our train to Ancona, to catch the ferry to Croatia!!

No comments:

Post a Comment