Friday, September 17, 2010

Un giro per quasi tutta l’Italia

It was a marvelous July.  I got to see a great deal of Italy and spend time with my family.  Everything started off with my mom arriving in Rome, where we quickly caught a flight to Sardegna, an island off the coast of Italy.  We saw lots of gorgeous seas, some ruins and spent some time on the beach.

Our next stop was to meet my father and brother in Pisa and then to head up to Venice.  Venice is always beautiful – even with the almost unbearable 90 degree, 100% humidity weather.  Let’s just say that the entire month was pretty hot and humid and we all got used to being covered with sweat most of the time.  We saw the usual – churches, pigeons, palaces, art, gondolas, blown glass, magical Venice.. We met my uncle and his family in Venice to enjoy the day.

Then it was off to a quick visit in Florence to see my house and to give me the chance to show my family the city.  We saw the David, took a night tour of the Palazzo Vecchio, went up to Piazzale Michelangelo for the best view of the city and walked around and enjoyed.archflr dome1 firenzefamily 

Next stop – Rome.  Jean met us there and we toured around the city. I hadn’t been back to the Coliseum and the Roman Forum since high school and it was really impressive (and hot) walking around all the old ruins of ancient Rome.  The Borghese Gallery was also very impressive, as is the rest of Rome.  I love Rome.

Dad and Matt returned home (and air conditioning) and the rest of us continued on our way to Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast.  It was beautiful – the charming towns built on the steep hillsides, the beautiful sea and coastline.

Sicily was our last stop – we sure got a lot in on our vacation and everyone was pretty tired by the end of the trip.  We stayed in Catania and visited Mt. Etna and Siracuse. 

After Jean and mom returned back to the US, I stayed in Sicily to enjoy the beautiful country.  It was so totally different from the rest of Italy.  Let’s just say fashion and looks are not the priority that they are here.  The people were friendly and fun and motorcycle helmets were obviously optional.  The whole family can fit on one little scooter.  The lemon and almond granite were to die for – they really are the best in Sicily, just like the best pizza really was Napoletana.  It was a great, long, enlightening vacation and I’m happy that I got to see so much of this beautiful country!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment