Thursday, December 17, 2009

Giminy Cricket's Hometown


Tuscany is beautiful!  Saturday Meaghan and I went to San Gimignano (which didn't take me a month to figure out how to spell or say).  It is a beautiful walled, medieval town set on top of a hill with awesome views of the rolling Tuscan countryside and very distinct towers. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Gimignano]  Meaghan decided it must be where Giminy cricket is from (there are no J's in Italy) - and Pinocchio is also from Tuscany - so why not?  It was FREEZING like the rest of Tuscany has been for the past week. It even SNOWED in Florence last night, although sadly I missed it. (I am so not prepared for a winter of 30 degree weather) We had an awesome time enjoying the sites and the views from the tower, walking around the walls and eating gelato (somehow it's a requirement even when you are freezing) - and the Christmas lights, of course.  I wish I had time to go to more cities and see more lights - they are unique and beautiful in each city.  The best part was that there were almost no other tourists and we felt like we really were in an abandoned medieval city for a while...until all the Italians come out around 5 from their afternoon lunches and naps to wander the city and enjoy the lights.  Everything here has so much character - I love it!

The famous Medieval towers..I guess they had some mean neighbors in Firenze and Siena







  Sunsets never get old!

No comments:

Post a Comment